[rescue] Printing to the 'net

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 10:22:18 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 10:53:53AM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> Yes, my printer has a public IP address. What's the worst that could
> happen? Some goober empties the paper tray printing porn? So what? I've
> secured the admin interface, and the thing's under warranty. Is a
> printer smart enough to be used for a DDOS attack or some such?

Well, they could empty your print tray printing kiddie snuff pron, then
make an anonymous call to the local police.  That would be pretty stinking
bad (since one brain dead aspect is that for such things the record is
only wiped clean if found innocent.  If not charged, the record remains).

The printer might also be useable for storing warez (then, a quick call to
the BSA).

And also, there might be some way to intercept and download documents that
were sent to the printer, making all printing the same as sending
unencrypted email aover the net (to blow things a little bit out of
proportion).

> I guess my question is; what's to defend against besides paper waste?

Jail time?

 (am I being cynical enough today yet?)

--
Joshua D. Boyd