[rescue] Printing to the 'net

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 09:10:53 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 08:32:50AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:18:05AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Isn't it kinda a bad idea to leave printers exposed directly to the
> > internet?
>
> Not if they're behind a firewall or on a private network.  The company
> i work for - *all* of our "internal" systems are on private address
> space.. a class A of private address space.  So we've got a LOT of
> systems. 8-)

When you say a private adress space, do you mean something like 127.x.x.x?

Anyway, the topic was printing over the internet.  So, the printers could
be behind a firewal, but if the guy can print to them, but apparently the
firewall isn't doing all that much (which isn't nescesarily bad in my
book).

It also means that the printer can't have an IP like 127.* or
192.168.*.  I'm sure these are obvious to every one, just reviewing some
facts.

Anyway, so that comes back to the printer being exposed to the
internet.  Isn't that considered bad?  I don't think of printers as
something with great security defenses.

--
Joshua D. Boyd