[rescue] Printing to the 'net

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 08:18:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:25:42AM -0700, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Can you reach it from home? (ping it?)
>
> You could, I assume, install the HP software for
> network printers - jetdirect I think it is called, go
> to the HP website and poke around - you shopuld find a
> network install program for Solaris/SPARC.

Isn't it kinda a bad idea to leave printers exposed directly to the
internet?

What I did once was work out a set of scripts that hid behind lpd (?,
forget now what exactly), and they would take a print job, and instead of
printing it locally, it would zap the file over the net to school, that
log in and print it.  So, I could print a term paper before bed, then pick
it up on my way to class.

Don't think I actually did that more than twice though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd