[rescue] What is a good terminal?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 22:34:34 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, August 7, 2001 at 17:42:55 (-0700), ed at the7thbeer.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] What is a good terminal?
>
> All I use are Wyse.  They've never given *me* any problems, but I'm
> curious to know why one might consider Wyse's the "wrong" ones?

Well, Wyse are the worst of the "wrong ones" for sure (though they did
improve many of their later models past the time of the WY-60 and WY-80).

They're "wrong" because Wyse never did learn how to do bug-for-bug
compatability, and they had some of the worst bugs of their own too, and
their own personalities sucked badly from any application writer's
perspective, especially anything driven by Curses.

My first favourite terminal was the Ann Arbour Ambassador, but I haven't
used on of them since at least 1983, if not before.  Since then I've
personally liked almost all of AT&T's terminals the best, with the 605
and 705mt being the very best of their "dumb" terminals, and of course
with the 5620, 630, and 730 being the very best of their "smart"
terminals.  The 5620 has the absolute best Unix programmer's keyboard
ever made by anyone anywhere.

I still use my AT&T 605 for my main console server console (and as an
"emergency" direct terminal for anything in my machine room).  I'll
probably haule a 5620 or two out of the garage once I get the machine
room cleaned up a bit more and with more room on the work bench for
one.  I may even put one in my office again if I can find the desk space
because then I could play gebaca again!

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>