[rescue] RSM Disk tray

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 16:20:44 CDT 2001

DA wrote:
> I have come into posession of what appears to be a drive tray from an RSM
> array, no drives. It's a 7-slot chassis, no disks. Apparently, it takes
> up to 9GB 7200RPM drives; looks like the drives need SPUDS.

Nope-- they need an RSM bracket, although spuds may physically fit. The nice
thing is that they are "spacey" so you can use a larger (1/2-height) drive
if you come across them.

This is just a JBOD. As long as the disk is SCA it will work in it-- it
doesn't have any size limitation unless you plug it into an A3000/RSM2000
and even that's debatable. If you just have an RSM tray it's just that, a
differential SCSI JBOD, just like a multipack.

> Unfortunately, it takes 220V power, so I'd have to unplug my washing
> machine to use it.

It also takes 120. If you open up the fans (press down on the top and it
pops out) you'll see a switch on the back of the power supply. If you
move it to "120" from "220" you can use typical house power :)

If you have two supplies, yank one out. You only need one, unless you
really need redundant power. With only one installed you won't get the
alarms about not feeding the redundant supply and all your lights will
be green.... plus the annoying buzzer won't go off.

> Anyone have any use for this thing? What's it worth?

~$100-$200ish. on ebay.

-Jon