[rescue] SBus FC-AL/SSA interface card?

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 11:12:45 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 11:43:07AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:20:24PM -0700, koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> >
> > Well, hell. I'll sell fcals cheaper than that.
>
> where were you when i needed fcals. :)
>
> > all mine are single gbic, but I've got a fairly decent supply of them.
>
> there is no reason why he can't just use four cards instead of two cards with
> two GBICs each. :)
>
> > I've never really had a problen saturating the 25meg per second on mine, though....
>
> yeah, that's why i recommended dual connections for the 50MB/sec.

So, with all this talk about fc-al on SBUS, I have a question.  How
reasonable would it be to try to build a high performance (aiming for
saturating FDDI link) raid 0+1 file server out of a SS2?  an
SS5? SS10?  Doing this requires a minimum of CPU power, so it could be
reasonable...

Just kicking around ideas.  FC-AL drives are so cheap.  But, that still
leaves the cost of the FC-AL enclosures...

--
Joshua D. Boyd