[rescue] Screw emulators!

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 19:19:49 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 08:17:27PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> The exact front panel would be copyrighted by Compaq I believe.  But,
> other than that, there is no reason a front panel couldn't be constructed
> for this board (or so it looks to me).

Actually, it probably falls under the "hobbyist, not for profit"
clause that DEC (pre-compaq) put out for their documentation:

>From the January 1985 Software Documentation Products Directory (EJ-26361-78),
first page:

3. RIGHT TO COPY

   Beginning January 1, 1985, Digital customers are given a right to copy, at
   no charge, any Digital Archival Software Documentation Publication
   (excluding restricted or third party owned) that we no longer offer for
   sale.  However, the copyright is retained as the exclusive property of
   Digital Equipment Corporation.

You'd have to give proper copyright notice, but I dont think they'd
complain (Compaq likes to forget about anything pre-1990 or so,
anyways) about someone recreating one for hobbyist/archival purposes.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net