[rescue] Screw (software) emulators!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 18:47:24 CDT 2001

I *love* it - I wonder how the speed compares to the original, and I wonder
if it would bepossible for him to market such a "clean room" copy?

Could one fothe more knowledgeable folks out there explain for us "regular
folk" how hard it is to emulate a complete system (CPU, etc) in a FPGA
(Field Programmable Gate Array)? It seems very rough, but then again,
someone appraching the "problem" of building a PDP-8 with the benefit of
modern tools has a distinct advantade over the original designers...

It would be great to take that design, get a legal binary of an appropriate
OS and drop some software on it like BASIC-PLUS.

Then you could drop it all in an external drive case and have a PDP/8
computer appliance!

And just think, if they could port Linux to it...

;^)

Thanks, for a very cool link...

Ken