[rescue] Prestoserve

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 17:30:35 CDT 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Al Potter wrote:

> I think so....  big thing to watch out for is depleted batteries, which are
> soldered to the board and not "field replaceable" according to Sun.  I have
> replace the batteries on two cards without difficulty.

well when i press the little button on the back, the yellow "data
ok" light blinks dimly .. so i guess there is something there.

> You will need the driver software to check if the batteries have sufficient
> power.  If the switch is left in the "on" position while the board is out of a
> system, or while power is not applied to the system, they are probably
> depleted.

ah thats what the big "enable/disable" switch is for then... i've just
turned it off :)

> > value?
>
> Hard to say.....  $40-$60 guessing, assuming good batteries?
> Batteries were about $15 each, IIRC, and you need two for each card.
>
> As a counterpoint, memoryx.com had prestoserv nvsimms for sparc 20s
> for around $25 each a couple of weeks ago.  Check their site, or the
> list archives...

ok...

anyone in the UK want to make me an offer for a prestoserve card before i
chuck it on ebay? ;)

i've also got an Interphase FDDI card .. can't see any obvious part number
on it, but it is single-attach and has 8 little lights on the back.

both of these cards are pulls from a working SS10, because i don't
have a need for them.

dave.