[rescue] Wither the $150 Gig-o-RAM...

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 11:18:00 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:54:00AM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Now *that* is a good deal.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is *why* the generic stuff is cheaper than the name
> brand stuff: the generic "no-name" memory tends to go through fewer QA cycles
> than the "name brand" Micron, Crucial, and Kingston memory.  End result
> is you get marginal/bad memory delivered to your door more often.

My "secret" to testing RAM is to use the built-in testing procedures of the
Mersenne Prime software at www.mersenne.org .

Read the docs - but the short version is that by doing a lot of FFTs of
varying sizes during the self-test phase, you stress the CPU, L2 cache, and
RAM.

I have not had problems with the "cheapo" RAM I have gotten from
TigerDirect, etc.

Cordially

Patrick