[rescue] But what if the bad man takes my money?

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 07:56:01 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 04:13:54AM +0000, koyote at koyote.cx wrote:

> > If I can't give my drefit card to a major corp (they get hacked), a small
> > corp (the employees might steal it) - why have one?
>
> > Ken
>
> I do believe that was the original point :)

That was close to the original point.  Small corps offline usually provide
other ways of doing business, and small corps online have the same hacking
risk.  While employee theft exists, I'm usually not all that concerned
about it (shouldn't have even brought it up).  But still, I do wish that
people would all uniformly switch to a more secure system.  I think third
party payment ala paypal is the way to go.  I would love and be ecstatic
about paypal, especially since more online stores are starting to accept
them, if only paypal accepted something other than electronic checks and
visa cards.  But, the only way for them to do that is to become their own
bank essentially, or become their own credit agency, and I can see why
they might not care to be either.

Although, if they proved to be quite secure (such as by not storing
sensitive info like creditcard numbers online), maybe it would be worth
letting them have access to a debit card.

--
Joshua D. Boyd