[rescue] Mac Appliance

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 6 01:47:49 CDT 2001

dave at cca.org wrote:

> >It was so much like being on a unix system it
> >was easy to forget you weren't. Even had jfs and lvm, as well as a full
> >set of gnu tools.
>
> Hunh?
>
> Explain the OS/2 AIX thing more, please.
>
> Do you mean they emulated the OS/2 system call interface in AIX?

No, not a bit. They took a whole bunch of what was (is?) good about AIX,
like jfs, lvm, native NFS, a file (and incidentally, fs) size limit of 2
Terabytes, and a TCP/IP stack that supports 64,000 concurrent sockets.
Add gnu file utils and a compiler, and pretty much any unix software
will compile and run. OS/2 turned into into a unix compatible and
unix-like scalable (up to 64 processors) system before dying. The
opposite of what you asked. I repeat, it rocked hard.

Still only 32-bit, though. Wah!

---sambo