[rescue] several second lag...

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 5 11:44:10 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 08:39:06AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I ran 7.2 on a VAXstation VLC with.. 12 meg I think it was.
> Maybe 16.  In the "olden days" you could run it on an 11/780
> with 1meg. 8-)

Deka Batteries (East Penn Manufacturing) just recently tossed a MV2000 w/4MB
ram that ran 50 users on VT terms.  do that with any other OS/hardware. :)

> I think you can even run it in 8, but you cant run the tcp/ip
> stack...

so you get one box with a lot of memory, and you build a DECnet/TCP gateway out
of it and you problems are solved. :)

i've got my VAX 4000 loaded to the gills with TCP/IP services. and it's running
in 20M of physical memory used.  i could very easily tune that down if i wanted
to, but the box has 64M ram so i'm not worried about it. :)

-brian