[rescue] a couple of Solaris questions

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 20:11:01 CDT 2001

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, D.A. Muran-de Assereto wrote:

> Sounds like you need to set up an LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.
> Solaris uses that variable to find dynamically linked libraries
> at runtime.

This just in: LD_LIBRARY_PATH considered harmful, in favor of compiling
your software with better paths. This was news to me a few months ago, and
I've been sysadminning for years:

http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/user_guide/faq/ld_lib_path.html
http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html

I recompiled my entire /usr/local/ tree with correctly-set -R LDFLAGS
variables, and was able to remove LD_LIBRARY_PATH from the .profile's on
all of my machines without any problems.

Dan
--
The more advertising I see, the less I want to buy.

Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org
www.nodewarrior.org