[rescue] a couple of Solaris questions

Paul Phillips rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 17:56:43 CDT 2001

This is only on topic because it has do to with my recently rescued dual
processor Ultra 2 (which I REALLY like!).

1) What does everybody use for a graphical ftp client?  I downloaded LLNL
xftp from SunFreeware, and it works, but it is pretty bare bones, and not
particularly artistic to look at.

2) I want to remove the Apache that was installed with Solaris 8 and
compile my own with mod perl.  So I go to the nice little Solaris Product
Registry tool, and click on Apache, and it says:

Dependent Components - Entire Distribution.

What!?!  Will I break everything if I remove it?  Is there any problem with
removing it and compiling my own? (Besides, it is version 1.3.9!)

3) Every once and awhile the path thing bites me.  I installed all the GNU
stuff from the Additional software CD.  It seems to put all the executables
and libraries inside /opt/sfw.  So today I was installing Mysql, which
seemed to not be able to find libstdc++.so.2.10.0 when it needed it ( to
run mysql_isntall_db).

First I made sure that /opt/sfw/lib was in the path of the user that was
running mysql_install_db, which was the "mysql" user.  That didn't work.

Then I put a link to libstdc++.so.2.10.0 from the
/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/, where there are some other shared libraries
that belong to mysql.  That didn't work.

Finally, I put a link to libstdc++.so.2.10.0 from the /lib directory, and
that worked.

My question - if /opt/sfw/lib was correctly in the path of the user that
was trying to run the executable, why couldn't the executable find the
library that it needed.  I checked by doing echo $PATH and it was there,
clear as day...

Any hints?

Thanks so much for your help.

Paul

Paul Phillips
Director of Orchestral Activities, Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University

"You must sing every note you play, sing even through the rests!"
Arturo Toscanini