[rescue] several second lag...

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 4 11:57:31 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:38:00AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Joshua,
>
> You *can't* be serious!
>
> Several seconds delay? Try this little expreiment:
>
>     <simulate pressing a key on the keyboard>
>
>     Repeat the following out loud:
>         one thousand one
>         one thousand two
>         one thousand three
>
>     <simulate seeing the key you pressed displaying on the screen>
>
> You *really* think that is what it is like to use a machine with a CPU
> clocked under 200 MHz?

I didn't say a machine clocked under 200mhz, I said a modern Windows
machine clocked under 200mhz.  Specifically, my sisters computer (200mmx,
64megs of ram (had more but a dimm failed, and haven't replaced it), 4gig
ultra scsi) has Win98, office 97, AOL 6, IE5, etc.  IE5 is the program
most likely to have several second keystroke delays.  Word has some delay
but pretty much always less than 1 sec.

> Honestly, what is the slowest system clock/CPU/OS combination you have used?

Hmm, don't know.  It could be a TRS-80 Model 100, an Apple 2, a Toshiba
T100 CPM machine, a Kaypro CPM machine.  I don't know what the clock rates
were on any of those systems.

--
Joshua D. Boyd