[rescue] Mac Appliance

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 21:22:06 CDT 2001

Funny story - Remember MCI Friends & Families program, reduced rates for
calling certain numbers (your friends and families)? Well, when that program
rolled out, it was managed on a 486 Comaq desktop computer...

I can only assume that machine was running windows (mid 80's)...

The "trick" to making this work on such a low-end machine, is that the
processing is done "off-line", after the call completes but *before* the
bill is cut...

This went on for a few months, but was certainly a stop-gap effort. Seems
the marketing department raced ahead of engineering...

Ken