[rescue] be

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 20:02:00 CDT 2001

--------------030207060408080907040701

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On August 3, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
>>>   We'll see.  When the government labs stop buying
>>> multi-hundred-million-dollar computer installations from them because
>>> they've gone to wimpy Intel processors, they'll figure it out real
>>> quick-like.  I could be all wet, but I really don't see SGI going away
>>> anytime soon.  And only partially because people have been predicting
>>> the "imminent doom" of SGI for at least the past six years.
>>
>> Well, as much as I shouldn't say this, I heard this from someone who has
>> some reputable connections.  Sorry to be vague, but he probably
>> shouldn't have been talking to me in the first place.
>

>   Not to doubt you or your contacts, but I will believe it when I see
> it.
>
>   One of Microsoft's trashy little tactics a few years ago was to
> start rumors that places like Sun were "about to go out of business"
> ..."so you should run NT instead!"  blah blah blah.
>
>   In short...this industry s so full of suits, liars, wannabees, flakes,
> morons, conformists, and fence-riders that...if you want something to
> come true, just start a rumor that it's "about to happen"...then it
> probably will.
>
>        -Dave

I fully agree, and hence hesitated to even open my mouth.  I hope to god
that my friend was wrong.  I too will only believe it when i see it, but
there are certain signs of downhill slope (how many places now have gone
out of buisness by selling intel peecee's?) Truly, SGI has wonderful
engineers, and horrible suits.  Have you read some of their press
releases?  There was one recently about a movie (can't remember which
one) that used SGI's in the production.  The first paragraph talked
about how they used Visual Workstations for the movie, but if you read
down to where there was a quote from one of the producers, he directly
said that it was MIPS machines that they used!  The SGI PR wanted to
puch the shitty Intel boxes, but those who knew chose the real machines.

   -Dan Sikorski

--------------030207060408080907040701

I fully agree, and hence hesitated to even open my mouth.  I hope to god
that my friend was wrong.  I too will only believe it when i see it, but
there are certain signs of downhill slope (how many places now have gone
out of buisness by selling intel peecee's?) Truly, SGI has wonderful engineers,
and horrible suits.  Have you read some of their press releases?  There was
one recently about a movie (can't remember which one) that used SGI's in
the production.  The first paragraph talked about how they used Visual Workstations
for the movie, but if you read down to where there was a quote from one of
the producers, he directly said that it was MIPS machines that they used!
The SGI PR wanted to puch the shitty Intel boxes, but those who knew chose
the real machines.<br>
    -Dan Sikorski<br>