[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 18:18:17 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 10:13:57PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> > I get the impression that Linux is pretty usefull (but far from
> > optimized) on PPC machines ...
>
> I'm reliably informed that it "blows goats".
>
> Especially on Mac 'Wallstreet' laptops.

Hmm, no, to the extent that PPC port has been at all optimized (virtually
none) it most certainly wouldn't have been optimizations for the G3s and
G4s.  I know it isn't optimized, but for serious computing on the PPC,
what is?  The closest is probably OS X.

> > Especially if you've only got 4 bloody registers.  Darn it McGuire, stop
> > ranting and invent a time machine so that we can go beat the 386 guy who
> > decided to stick with 4 registers.  That alone would radically improve
> > things.
>
> The 486 and above have more, IIRC.

Well, they have FP registers, but they don't really count.  Now, the
Pentium MMX reuses the FP registers for the MMX registers and if you don't
need FP, then they can be used for among other things, making up for the
fact that there are only 4 int registers.  Frankly, the Itanium is the
only chip since the 286 that might be considered respectable.  We shall
see when it comes out.

> And anyway, why would Dave need to invent a time machine, I bet he has a
> DeLorean hidden somewhere in his basement :-)  I must see this basement
> sometime.

Sigh.

--
Joshua D. Boyd