[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 12:06:01 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:43:46PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> i'm only half kidding of course.  there is no good reason to NOT optimize other
> than it's boring as hell.

Well the other reason to not optimize is cost of hiring someone to do
it.  Not many people can effectively optimize asm.  I can't do it well,
but I don't know many people locally who are much better than me.

So, if the TiVo like device that your company is building runs fine, then
why spend another $60k a year to further optimize it?  That at least is
the corporate reason for not having it optimized already.

It wouldn't surprise me if at some point IBM starts to optimize that POWER
port of linux, and I suspect that a lot of those optimizations would also
help the regular PPC port.

--
Joshua D. Boyd