[rescue] Mac Appliance

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 11:47:15 CDT 2001

On August 3, joshua d boyd wrote:
> >   Are you assuming that later pdp11s are faster than the 11/70?  That
> > would be a bad assumption to make.  The pdp11/70 was released in 1974,
> > and it wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's that fasters pdp11s were
> > built (the pdp11/83 and 11/84, only marginally faster), and there were
> > many models in between those years.  The pdp11/70 was king of the hill
> > performance-wise for quite some time.
>
> So, is an 11/70 still faster than what Mentec makes?  And why did it take

  Not currently, no...but the 11/70 was faster than other pdp11 models
until the 11/83 and 11/84 came out.

> so long for something faster to come out?  If it took so long for

  Because they really outdid themselves with the 11/70, and it was
VERY expensive to build.  The processor is a large stack of large
boards...compared with, say, the pdp11/34, which is TWO boards.

> something faster to come out, did the 11/70 stay in production till Dec
> cut the PDPs altogether?

  No.

> Hmm, searching to make sure that the answers aren't obvious before posting
> this.  Hmm, never new that the 11s were only 16bit.  I always thought that
> they were 36 bit machines.

  No.  The pdp11 architecture is 16 bit.  The pdp10 (and some others)
were 36-bit.  And very, very different machines in many ways.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD