[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 11:37:59 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:27:30PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > look for old ones when they can buy new PDP 11s?
>
>   Are you assuming that later pdp11s are faster than the 11/70?  That
> would be a bad assumption to make.  The pdp11/70 was released in 1974,
> and it wasn't until the late 80's/early 90's that fasters pdp11s were
> built (the pdp11/83 and 11/84, only marginally faster), and there were
> many models in between those years.  The pdp11/70 was king of the hill
> performance-wise for quite some time.

So, is an 11/70 still faster than what Mentec makes?  And why did it take
so long for something faster to come out?  If it took so long for
something faster to come out, did the 11/70 stay in production till Dec
cut the PDPs altogether?

Hmm, searching to make sure that the answers aren't obvious before posting
this.  Hmm, never new that the 11s were only 16bit.  I always thought that
they were 36 bit machines.

--
Joshua D. Boyd