[rescue] Mac Appliance

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 11:31:38 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:17:35AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:16:53PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > Does it have to be the 11/70, or would other 11s run their software?  Why
> > look for old ones when they can buy new PDP 11s?
>
> "why get a SPARC 2 when you can buy a SunBlade 100?"
>
> See how stupid that sounds?

Well, not exactly.  I mean, on the one hand, it sounds like, why get an
antique box when a new one is available (since this is a business that is
reasonable).  On the other hand, it sounds stupid the other way if we are
talking about a box for running SunOS 4 apps.  Then, you couldn't even
consider anything newer, but the question still could be put, why buy a
Sparc 2 when you can get a Sparc 20 clone?

So, I guess the question was meant to be, is there something special about
11/70s (like SunOS is special to sparcs) that keeps it's users from being
able to buy new machines?

Or, it could be the related question, is a PDP-11 a PDP-11, or is each
model incompatible with the next PDP-11 model (in which case the Mentec
models might be similar in name only).

As you might guess, this is coming from someone who barely knowns a single
thing about PDP-11s other than they preceded the Vaxes (and that actually
is all I can think of that I know about PDP-11s.)

--
Joshua D. Boyd