[rescue] Mac Appliance

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 10:58:53 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:09:32PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> Feel a need to offload any of then (not the 5200s or the LC II)?  And why

once i take stock, i'll post what i have available.  all free for pickup, i
will not ship these.  although i have been convinced to drop some off in philly
and NYC (i live near both) and i have been meaning to make a trip out to
millersville one of these days, so i could drag a couple along if you'd be
interested.

> do you tie 7.6.1 and SLOW together like that?  Yes, the 603e was fairly

coincidence.  it just occured to me that maybe people would want to know what
version of the OS i was running, i just happened to think of it then. *G*

> slow, especially if there is no L2 cache (as others pointed out.

the machines lack L2 cache, so that might be a place to start, although the
cheapest i've found for the 256K L2 cache (not on ebay of course, at a "regular"
memory store) is $72 and these machines are not worth spending that much on.

it's that damn 32-bit memory that is the real performance sink though.  oh well.

-brian