[rescue] Mac Appliance

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 10:41:47 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:34:45AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   "Fast-clocked" != "powerful".  Clock speed isn't a measure of
> computing performance.

Example in point: PDP-11/70.  I know people (companies, resellers) who
are STILL looking for these boxes when they become available, because
they *work* and they *JUST DONT DIE*.

>   Though I don't agree with the idea, we must understand why they did
> it.  NeXTs have a postscript display system...Why interpret the
> postscript twice?  Not trying to be agumentative, but I it's an
> important point.

Where is it interpreting it twice?  The NeXT laser printer was just a
dumb engine that got the image info from the CPU; kinda like how the
SPARCprinter works.  It *was* only getting rendered once, unless I'm
mistaken.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford