[rescue] Mac Appliance

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 10:27:55 CDT 2001

On August 3, Scott Newell wrote:
> >Memory protection - invented in the 60s.  Does WinME have it?  Nope.
>
> And when did the MacOS finally support memory protection and pre-emptive
> multitasking?

  Preemptive multitasking in MacOS isn't something "waiting to be
developed" or "lagging behind other OSs".  It was a conscious design
decision to implement cooperative multitasking in MacOS instead of
preemptive.

  Now, whether or not we all think it was a GOOD design decision isn't
the point...the fact is, it wasn't designed to be there, and unless
they change their minds, it won't be.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire