[rescue] Mac Appliance

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 09:42:10 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:50:04AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:29:53AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   ...because Microsoft (and Intel to a slightly lesser extent) have
> > set our industry back by a solid twenty years, that's why.

There are a lot of "innovations" that all plaeyers seem to tout
although they've occured 20++ years ago. Plenty of you have covered
that stuff, though... here's one more.

Dynamic Reconfiguration. The coolest thing about Sun's E10K although
MULTICS supported it on some GE/Honeywell systems in the 70s. No
pretty GUI back then, and these days you don't need to know your
hardware addresses in octal to perform it right. Other vendors are
hopping on this one, including MSFT with support for HP's SuperDome.

Remember the apples and oranges, though... Originally WinTel
wasn't designed as a server, but as stuff for the home.

Would you trust Windows to run your telco switch? Neither does
the telco.

-Jon