[rescue] [Slightly OT] Smart-UPS 1400 Battery replacement

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 08:34:39 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:45:48PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:

> I had a Best ferro ups that needed a battery (single 12V gell). Best wanted
> $220.00. A local battery dealer wanted $95.00 for an equivalent battery.

i have a Best FerrUPS FE10KVA (i refer to it as the Beast) that i need at least
one new battery for (it's cracked, and missing a chunk of plastic) but i don't
know about the other 9 batteries.  anyone know how i could test them?  the
batteries that are in there are from the Deka Dominator series (aviation
batteries it seems, all deep-cycle gells) and as it turns out i live near where
they make Deka Batteries (i grew up near Lyon Station, PA where they make the
batteries, that place is HUGE)

i wonder what i've going to have to pay.  i do get a good price by going
straight to deka, and i can buy "seconds" there (batteries that have surface
imperfections like a scrathed label, or a funny mark in the case plastic) for
about half of what you can buy these things retail.  well, that works for car
batteries anyway (obviously i buy ALL my car batteries there)

but anyway, now matter how cheap they are, they still aren't going to be THAT
cheap, and there are a total of 10 of them.  i'd really like to test them and
make sure they are all good though.  any thoughts?

-brian