[rescue] Mac Appliance

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 08:24:57 CDT 2001

On August 2, joshua d boyd wrote:

> > > Hey, it should be significantly faster than a Sun3.  Uhm, but then look
> > > how I use my Sun3.  But again, the Sun3 draws a rediculus amount of power,
> > > and the LC3 wouldn't draw as much.  However, perhaps an IPX would be more
> > > practicaly.
> >
> >   Huh?  An LC-III is a 68030 at 25MHz...only marginally faster than a
> > Sun3/60 (68020 at 20MHz, and of course that's assuming that's the only
> > difference between the two systems) and certainly quite a bit slower
> > than a Sun3/400 (68030 at 40MHz)....
>
> Are the 80s and 400s technically Sun3x machines?  I was assuming that like

  sun3x is the name of the "kernel architecture".  The name of the
computers is still Sun3.  When we talk about SPARCstations, we
generally don't say "I've got this sun4u here, and while hacking on my
sun4c blah blah".

> the jump from 386 to 486 that going from 020 to 030 would be significant,

  There isn't a significant speed difference between the 68020 and the
68030.  When I have some time later today I will dig out the books and
get the specifics.

> even if the clock doesn't really change.  I know I much prefered a 33mhz
> 486 to the 40mhz 386 I used.  I'm sure there are other differences.  I'm

  Of course there's no correlation between 68020/68030 and 80386/80486
though.

  If we were talking about the performance of the 68000 or 68010
vs. 68020, or 68030 vs. 68040, there'd be a much MUCH bigger
difference.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire