[rescue] [Slightly OT] Smart-UPS 1400 Battery replacement

James Fogg rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 07:54:31 CDT 2001

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001, THOU SPAKE:

Assuming they are near discharge now....

1) disconnect all the wires from the batts.
2) measure the voltage on each batt, they should all be within 1/4 volt of the
average of all their voltages (if not, deadsville).
3) if any batt is below .5 volt per cell, then the batts are gone. each cell is
good for 1.5v, so if its a 6v batt, then thats 5 cells.
4) re-connect and charge for two days.
5) place a dead load (resistive load, like a bunch of light bulbs) on the ups.
Pull the ups plug and see if the ups has decent output (measure it and watch
the bulbs). This is a cheatin way of measuring load capacity.
6) disconnect batts and measure for equality like in step 2.

> On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:45:48PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> >
> > I had a Best ferro ups that needed a battery (single 12V gell). Best wanted
> > $220.00. A local battery dealer wanted $95.00 for an equivalent battery.
>
> i have a Best FerrUPS FE10KVA (i refer to it as the Beast) that i need at least
> one new battery for (it's cracked, and missing a chunk of plastic) but i don't
> know about the other 9 batteries.  anyone know how i could test them?  the
> batteries that are in there are from the Deka Dominator series (aviation
> batteries it seems, all deep-cycle gells) and as it turns out i live near where
> they make Deka Batteries (i grew up near Lyon Station, PA where they make the
> batteries, that place is HUGE)
>
> i wonder what i've going to have to pay.  i do get a good price by going
> straight to deka, and i can buy "seconds" there (batteries that have surface
> imperfections like a scrathed label, or a funny mark in the case plastic) for
> about half of what you can buy these things retail.  well, that works for car
> batteries anyway (obviously i buy ALL my car batteries there)
>
> but anyway, now matter how cheap they are, they still aren't going to be THAT
> cheap, and there are a total of 10 of them.  i'd really like to test them and
> make sure they are all good though.  any thoughts?
>
> -brian
	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!