[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 22:09:38 CDT 2001

> Those RS CoCo owners seem to be rather fanatical.  I
came across a page
> describing how to hack in several megs of ram (like 2
or 4), and PPP
> implelentations.
Well, they were.  I don't know how many people hardware
hacked a 64 except for trying to repair blown power
supplies (they never liked voltage spikes) but the CoCo
was a dream to put a soldering iron to.

> What really takes the cake though is C64 owners.
Multitasking OS and a
> SCSI HD, all on an 8 bit toy.
> 16bit processor (SCPU-20MHz)
8 bit toy with a 16 bit processor?  The CoCo stayed 8
bit but there was a replacement chip that had a 32 bit
register so you could do 32 bit math on an 8 bit chip.

> SCSI interface (Any CMD harddisk has it on-board)
> IDE controler (IDE64 for any IDE HDD up to 2x8Gb,
Atapi CD-Rom)
Available boards/interfaces for the CoCo too.  Used SCSI
on mine.

> DD/HD 3.5" drive (1581, FD2000)
Did that on the CoCo and not a <2K serial interface
either.

They both had their place but I preferred the CoCo over
the 64. More reliable. Radio Shack thought of it as a
toy but for its price and speed, it was darn powerful
for a toy.  The only reason it died was that Tandy hired
someone to run their computer division and he came from
the Wintel world where nothing else existed.  Several
other non-PC machines were also discontinued at the same
time.