Unix in least RAM, was Re: [rescue] Cheap RAM?

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 2 10:06:35 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:34:33AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Aug 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> > > (Somone on one of the NetBSD lists seemed to be hinting they were
> > > running X11 too on an 8mb 486....  :-)
>
> I did this on a 386DX-20 and 8meg under Redhat 5.0. I guess I had some time to
> waste each time I started X. Needless to say, I didn't run X often (maybe 5
> times total).

I thought the idea was that you were supposed to start X and leave it
going, kinda like emacs?  I briefly tried X on a 4 meg machine (486sx),
and it was OK, but it was supposed to be a file server, and the spare
monitor for it didn't do higher than 640, so I thought, what the point?>

--
Joshua D. Boyd