Unix in least RAM, was Re: [rescue] Cheap RAM?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 21:29:39 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 09:54:33PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > 3B2/300 with 2 meg RAM, 72 meg HD.  My main machine for a few years.

not personally myself, but i used to support an application for Lucent that (to
this very day) runs on a setup like that.  except with a lot more HDD space.

>   V6 on a pdp11/34a...248KB.  My main machine for quite a few years,

ok, i gotta beat dave.  i gotta i gotta i gotta!!!

hmmm, 2.9BSD will run in 192KB.  hmmm.  *rummage, rummage, rummage*

CRAP.

1x64KB memory board and 2x32KB memory boards, that's 128KB.  damn, i'm short.
the only other memory boards i have are of the 2MB variety.  on well, no tiny
memory congigured PDP-11/23+ for me.  *shoot*

> but running RSTS/E.  It had V6 on it when I got it.

mmmmm, RSTS.

what i'm really looking for though are copies of TSX-11 and RSX-11 (in addition
to RSTS of course)

-brian