Unix in least RAM, was Re: [rescue] Cheap RAM?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 20:26:20 CDT 2001

I've got a little 486 laptop next to me that boots and runs
NetBSD-current just fine in 4MB of RAM.  I even have SSH v2 on it.

It would be happier with a faster and larger disk, but other than that
it makes a wonderful little portable terminal complete with both RS/232
and PCMCIA Ethernet!  :-)

(I think there may even be a parallel port on it!  ;-)

That's probably the smallest and least capable computer I've ever run
any Unix on.  I never did get my PDP-11's to boot BSD....  :-(

(Somone on one of the NetBSD lists seemed to be hinting they were
running X11 too on an 8mb 486....  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>