[rescue] Temperature Monitoring?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 15:41:12 CDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 sambo at charm.net wrote:

> There's been some discussion recently on another mailing list (that I
> know some of you are on) of SS20s overheating because of larger than
> stock hard drives. Is this a real danger? As I've mentioned, I put 9G
> and 18G drives in mine, and they run hot, but I kind of expected them
> to. I stuck another small fan between the drives and the cd-rom/floppy
> pile, but I don't know how much good it really does. I won't try to
> replicate the additional fan thread happening on the other list here,
> but what I was wondering is if the SS20 has any sort of temperature
> monitoring capabilities like peecee hardware does with LM sensors. Or is
> this a job for chilled bearing grease?

No temp monitoring, remember this was 1993 technology.

The SS20 has two heat "channels", one for the motherboard and processors
and one for the drives.  When I was running my SS20/812 in southern
California heat, I duct-taped on a couple of muffin fans to the starboard
side of the case blowing out, this was effective in increasing cooling
(dropped mbus module heatsink temp from 60C to 45C).  Doing something
similar to the HD area of the case might help as well.

Ditching the plastic side case baffles was good for another couple
degrees, though I covered them with wire mesh to keep various objects from
getting sucked in.

-James