[rescue] Re: Alpha/Sparc/NeXT/SGI to donate/sell

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 11:14:58 CDT 2001

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Ah, my conception of active sessions was, say, 1200 shell accounts
> active on the box running pine or some other such nonsense...

My first UNIX account was on a SPARCstation 2, 32MB RAM, 4.1.3, no
Power-Up... we had about 10k accounts and usually about 50 interactive
shell users at a time.

At the time it seemed so cool (10 years ago) that I didn't notice it being
very slow. The 2400bps modem in the middle wasn't all that much of a
bottleneck either.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows