[rescue] my NPR interview is up!

gonufer rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 1 02:22:19 CDT 2001

koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
 >> able to play and record at the same time.  Even the lowly SS1 can
 >> do it  and that was the simplest audio implementation Sun ever did
 >
 > Interestingly enough, I worked with one of the implementers.

Interestingly enough, I worked with most of the implementers.

 > He mentioned something about 8000 samples per second!

It uses an ISDN interface chip, what do you expect?  The am79c30
supports the two common voice telephony audio formats:
u-law/8kHz/8-bit/mono (North America) and A-law/8kHz/8-bit/mono
(Europe). It wasn't until the dbri/mmcodec (SPARCstation LX/SS10/SBus
card) that Sun supported higher-quality audio format.

The amazing part is that the SS1 did 8kHz audio as interrupt-driven PIO.
  The floppy and audio on an SS1 didn't play well together at the same
time without implementing the am79c30's interrupt handler as a fast trap
in SPARC assembly.  It ran in the trap register window thus limiting the
number of registers available but removing the overhead of register
window spill traps.

-greg