[SunRescue] Why would you need something like this?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 30 14:31:11 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, April 30, 2001 at 14:16:14 (-0500), Simeon Johnston wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Why would you need something like this?
>
> We have an old 50 pin cable.  Thing has to be about 10-12 feet long.  It's a
> ribbon cable.  A rainbow colored ribbon cable.  External 10 - 12 foot
> rainbow ribbon cable.
> : )
> The thing was used for an IRIS printer.  The printer was never more than 3
> feet away though.  Pretty useless but it came with the printer.
> Looks cool though.

I used to have a set of 25' SMD cables that were rainbow-coloured ribbon
cable, but with twists except for every two or three feet where it was
flat so you could attach another connector.

Of course the SMD designers were sane and used differential signalling
too (they had to -- the disks were sometimes so big you often needed to
attach a disk on the other side of the room because the space in between
was taken up by more disks!).  I still have a couple of SMD drives out
in the garage, and somewhere an SMD controller for my PDP-11/34 too.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>