[SunRescue] Why would you need something like this?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 30 12:35:25 CDT 2001

[ On Monday, April 30, 2001 at 12:06:20 (-0400), nick at snowman.net wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Why would you need something like this?
>
> You want Real(tm) High Quality scsi cables and 60$ for 6-foot isn't half
> bad.  Look at www.scsipro.com.

I'm not very impressed.  Their prices are sky-high (more than twice what
brand-name vendors and VARs sell for) and they don't have any real
information online and their newsletters are full of missing information
and what's there is often misleading or even wrong.  They only mention
high-voltage differential SCSI in one place I can find.  They even sell
cables that are too long for high-voltage differential SCSI!  Worst of
all there's no link on any of their pages to Gary Field's
<URL:http://www.scsifaq.org/>.

Indeed they don't even sell the highest quality stuff even though they
sell at prices twice what some truly high-quality stuff costs.  The same
$60[cdn] cables I bought are $100-$120 from StorageTek or IBM, or Compaq
or etc.

They seem to be the "Monster Cable(TM)" of the SCSI world.  At least
with SCSI the determination of quality is scientifically measurable.  If
you don't ever have any parity errors on your bus you don't need their
cables.

Next time I want to buy an ounce of gold I know where to get it at an
exorbitant price!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>