[SunRescue] IPC dead as doornail... possible causes?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 28 09:09:37 CDT 2001

>> Does gcc generate 64-bit code at all ? I don't think so but if someone
>> proves me wrong i wouldn't be angry on them.
>
>It must do.  NetBSD runs on both DEC-Alpha and Sparc-64 and only uses
>GCC (or at least the more recent egcs version) as the system
>compiler....

from what i understand, GCC is able to generate 64-bit code, but in the case
of the sparc (can't speak for the alpha, although mine runs fine) it generates
very poor code.  i think the recommendation was to use GCC for little stuff
(things like elm or mutt should be ok) but if you want to build something big
and intensive like GIMP or whatever, that you should download the Forte demo
and build all your intensive stuff in the one month that you can use it on
the trial license.

cheers,

-brian