[SunRescue] RE: Sun part number info request...

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 27 13:05:10 CDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> They could copyright their exact description of a board, but they
> couldnt copyright the knowledge that a 501-xxxx is a "cg6" for
> example...

I recall hearing some noise over here over a company who had compiled a
list of telephone numbers and addresses, and was selling searchable
databases on cd-rom.

BT(?)/Yellowpages(?)/someone accused them of copyright violation.

That seems to be a similar thing. I don't know what happened in that case
(any UK-er reading this know?) but would guess that for a prosecution
there would need to be a proof that the information was "gathered" by
copying directly from a copyright protected publication?

dave.