[SunRescue] Worth repairing gdm-1962b?

Rich Lafferty rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 26 22:05:53 CDT 2001

Hi, all --

I just picked up a GDM-1962b for CDN$50 with no *promise* of it being
in working condition, but a *guarantee* of it being in working
condition -- in other words, he had no idea if it worked but he'd give
me my money back if I didn't.

So, lug 100lbs of monitor home, plug it in, and surprise, Murphy was
right. No horizontal deflection, and a protection circuit kicks in
about one or two seconds after I power it up. Looks like a dead HOT or
rescan cap, if it's not just some cold solder somewhere; I can't *see*
any bad solder joints but it's been a long while since I did any work
on monitors and I don't have a schematic in the first place. Which
means I'd have to get someone else to fix it.

So, the question becomes, repair or return? The CRT looks to be in
great shape, and I *would* like to replace my aging 1662b, but I've no
idea how expensive parts for this guy might be. This seems to be a
pretty common failure mode for these beasts, so, if anyone out there's
got any comments on the utility of repairing it, please let me know..

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services