[SunRescue] RE: We have a winner!

Stefan Hames rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 23:04:19 CDT 2001

--============_-1223864630==_ma============

>On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:36:45PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
>>  I melt down the cornstarch based ones to make oobleck for my kids.
>>  -James
>
>What is oobleck?
>
>Bill
>
>--
>Bill Bradford
>mrbill at mrbill.net
>Austin, TX

Sounds cool. From the Jargon File 4.2.3 (23 NOV 2000):

ooblick /oo'blik/ n.  [from the Dr. Seuss title "Bartholomew
and the Oobleck"; the spelling `oobleck' is still current in the
mainstream] A bizarre semi-liquid sludge made from cornstarch and water.
Enjoyed among hackers who make batches during playtime at parties for its
amusing and extremely non-Newtonian behavior; it pours and splatters,
but resists rapid motion like a solid and will even crack when hit by
a hammer.  Often found near lasers.

    Here is a field-tested ooblick recipe contributed by GLS:

1 cup cornstarch 1 cup baking soda 3/4 cup water N drops of food coloring
This recipe isn't quite as non-Newtonian as a pure cornstarch ooblick,
but has an appropriately slimy feel.

    Some, however, insist that the notion of an ooblick _recipe_ is
far too mechanical, and that it is best to add the water in small
increments so that the various mixed states the cornstarch goes through
as it _becomes_ ooblick can be grokked in fullness by many hands.
For optional ingredients of this experience, see the "{Ceremonial
Chemicals}" section of Appendix B.
Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (home)
        607-254-2496 (lab)
        607-254-4262 (campus)
        607-255-8088 (fax)
<mailto: rsh5 at cornell.edu>
--============_-1223864630==_ma============

 --></style><title>Re: [SunRescue] RE: We have a
James Lockwood wrote:<br>
> I melt down the cornstarch based ones to make oobleck for my
kids.<br>
> -James<br>
What is oobleck?<br>
Bill<br>
--<br>
Bill Bradford<br>
mrbill at mrbill.net<br>
Austin, TX<br>
Dr. Seuss title "Bartholomew<br>
and the Oobleck"; the spelling `oobleck' is still current in
the<br>
mainstream] A bizarre semi-liquid sludge made from cornstarch and
water.<br>
Enjoyed among hackers who make batches during playtime at parties for
its<br>
amusing and extremely non-Newtonian behavior; it pours and
splatters,<br>
but resists rapid motion like a solid and will even crack when hit
by<br>
a hammer.  Often found near lasers.<br>
   Here is a field-tested ooblick recipe contributed by
GLS:<br>
1 cup cornstarch 1 cup baking soda 3/4 cup water N drops of food
coloring<br>
This recipe isn't quite as non-Newtonian as a pure cornstarch
ooblick,<br>
but has an appropriately slimy feel.<br>
   Some, however, insist that the notion of an ooblick
_recipe_ is<br>
far too mechanical, and that it is best to add the water in small<br>
increments so that the various mixed states the cornstarch goes
through<br>
as it _becomes_ ooblick can be grokked in fullness by many hands.<br>
For optional ingredients of this experience, see the
"{Ceremonial<br>

Stefan Hames<br>
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology<br>
E221 Corson Hall<br>
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-2701<br>
607-254-4262 (campus)<br>
       607-255-8088 (fax)
<mailto: rsh5 at cornell.edu><br>