[SunRescue] Tatung Micro COMPstation 5 (S5-110 clone) looking for new home

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 15:39:45 CDT 2001

Hi all,

As I have some vacation coming up, I kinda want to convert some
long-overdue-for-upgrade[0] systems into some wallet padding. If I come up
with a hefty list during my housecleaning this week, I'll provide that
later [3]. I think this is kosher for rescue, since I don't do this for a
living even if it is way too much of my life (it's just a hobby, it's just
a hobby, whoa, a free trip on the credit card already?). Paypal preferred,
but I'm flexible.

This is a Tatung Micro COMPstation 5, which is like a 110mhz SS5 in SS10's
clothing. It uses regular IDC50-type fast scsi hard drives internally, but
is mostly otherwise a SS5. I have had it in use for a little over a year
for dns/postfix/apache, and except that the disk is a bit flaky (I got it
after it failed at work 3 times due to heat exhaustion) I've been quite
happy with it.

It has 8 32MB sticks of memory for the max config of 256MB. I will put a
"be" ethernet card[1] in to supplement the onboard le. The disk is an
8000MB HP disk[2] and I can include it or not (it would be wiped and
analyzed and formatted for Sun if you do want it). There is no frame
buffer or keyboard or mouse or monitor--I've used serial console on it for
a year happily. It does have separate ttya and ttyb DB25F ports.

Photos available on request (late tonight probably... I can put a fresh
battery in the digicam).

# uname -a;uptime
SunOS dns.indyramp.net 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4m sparc sun4m
  1:11pm  up 97 day(s), 12:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.21, 0.23, 0.24

# memconf
hostname: dns.indyramp.net
Tatung micro COMPstation 5 clone
socket J0300 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0301 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0302 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0303 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0400 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0401 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0402 has a 32MB SIMM
socket J0403 has a 32MB SIMM
empty sockets: None
total memory = 256MB

       0. c0t0d0 <HP-X3653A-U092 cyl 4669 alt 2 hd 19 sec 173>

If you're interested, of course, email me privately. I'm looking for about
$1/MB plus shipping and can probably scrounge up addl scsi, disk, and net
cards if you want to beef it up a bit. I'd love to get this out of my NOC
by the weekend too.

Thanks,

Rob

[0] I have been thinking about selling this guy for a while... it was
supposed to be temporary until I got my Ultra 1 configured last summer.
Oops. The Ultra 1 and the SS20 are both almost ready to roll, so this guy
(and soon my 72MB SPARCclassic mailserver with dual lance ethernet and
dual scsi) is about ready to move along.

[1] the Bigmac Ethernet or be card has limited support in current Sun
OSes. Linux, *BSD, and pre-Sol8 Solaris should handle it (not 100% sure
about Sol7 off the top of my head, but Sol2.6 and before should be fine,
as would SunOS 4.1.4).

[2] This is c0t0d0 <HP-X3653A-U092 cyl 4669 alt 2 hd 19 sec 173>, a disk
that as I said has died three times and is still running. I would not
advocate running an enterprise server on it but if you just want a
disposable disk it's not that bad.

[3] Other stuff I expect to find include the SPARCclassic mentioned above,
some single and dual PPro boards with cpus, various pc bits, and some 4mm
DDS2 tape drives and maybe a changer or two. If you want dibs, email me
privately about any of this stuff.

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows