[SunRescue] Help looking for a 3rd party RAID controller

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 14:07:01 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, April 24, 2001 at 15:48:54 (-0500), Chris Opp wrote: ]
> Subject: [SunRescue] Help looking for a 3rd party RAID controller
>
> I am looking for a 3rd party RAID controller for an Ultra 60. Sun, from my
> understanding doesn't have anything like this. Any ideas???

You mean like a PCI card that's a RAID controller?  If Sun don't have
anything like this then there are unlikely to be any Solaris drivers for
anything like this.

However if you mean a SCSI-to-{SCSI,IDE,etc.} controller, like a CMD
CRD-5500, well you can't have mine!  ;-)

Just to brag a bit about a wonderful rescue yesterday:

I just bought a *pair* of Open Storage Solutions, Inc. RAID boxes based
on the TRIMM RE03 cabinet and trays with a CRD-5500 controller
containing a 16-bit UltraFAST host interface and four 8-bit FAST disk
interfaces.  Complete in perfect working condition (well one connector
on one had a bent shell) with four ST15230N disks in one and 5 in the
other, 16MB RAM in each, etc., they were $253[cdn!], including taxes!
The current Canadian government procurement price on the cabinet and
controller alone seems to be about $5,240[cdn] and for some reason the
disks are listing at over $100[usa] as refurbs.  You just never know
what you'll find at a leasing companies second-hand store!  (Though they
also had a VAXserver 3000 with a some memory and disk but for the
outrageous price of $250 -- should be about $50!)

Anyway it cost more to buy the cables and terminator to hook them up....  :-(

My CVS repository and working directories will finally be safe(r)!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>