[SunRescue] Suburban Wireless?

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 24 06:02:24 CDT 2001

>> 	Just a comment... if you found people whacky enough to do this, why
>> not just run some cheap spools of CAT5 from house to house. It
almost sounds

>This is in general a Bad Idea.  100baseT isolation specs do not
>accommodate lightning strikes well, and the cable will degrade rapidly
if
>left in the elements.

Yes, from what I understand ground differences are very nasty. I get
them in my house some times between different areas. I could never do
this, to get to the closest house I'd have to pass through ~20 other
houses and 2 semi major roads. I'd run fiber anyway, much cleaner and
nicer.

>The real solution outdoors is to lay (properly grounded) conduit and
run
>the cable through.  Simply burying the cable will work in some
situations
>if the cable shell is sufficiently rugged.  Another possibility (if
>available in your area, which it frequently isn't) is to get your
local
>telco to provide you directly connected unloaded pairs.

Tried the unloaded line/dsl thing. I spoke with the local Ameritech
engineer who assured me nothing or the sort existed. I didn't even say
I want to undermine your T1 service with my private DSL network so I
don't know if he was lying or telling the truth.

>From what you've said it sounds like your biggest problem will be with
the
>trees.  Long distances are manageable and antennas aren't too
expensive,
>but a lack of LOS will kill you fast.
>
>-James

Ya, I've read about doing long distance so that didn't concern me but
the trees did. I'll have to read more about the antenna types suggested
by others.

Mike