[SunRescue] Suburban Wireless?

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 23 21:59:30 CDT 2001

> 	The maximum run on ether is 1500 meters no? That should allow a minimum
> of repeaters (are their pure repeaters or do you just get a hub?) on a area of
> 1-2 km with scattered houses.
> 	Just my 2 cents...

100 meters on regular CAT 5.  If you want to go further, you'll need to go
fiber.  I'd recommend fiber anyway...nothing like a big long run of copper
cable outside to pick up induced voltages from nearby lightning strikes.

And running cables between houses is...problematic...unless you have the
support of EVERYONE that could ever possibly see the cables.  All you need
is one whiny twink who thinks that cables are "unsightly" and "not
ordinary" to make life miserable for you.  A couple of us found that out
the hard way.