[SunRescue] Suburban Wireless?

mike dombrowski rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 23 18:13:26 CDT 2001

Hello all, I've toyed with the idea for a while and now I've found
people foolish/stupid/crazy enough to try it with me, a wireless
802.11b network between our houses. Most of the points would be within
half a mile radius but if possible I'd like to link sites as far as a
mile or two. We've got several issues tho, our biggest problem is these
70ft plus Elm trees we've got around here. There's no way to get above
and there are a _lot_ of them around. Also, my parents would have no
problem with me mounting an antenna on our roof if it was done properly
- out of site/near chimney and properly grounded. But most of my
friends don't have the parental permission/skillz to climb on top of a
two story roof and not fall off and die, let alone mount an antenna
right. So is it possible to stick these things inside a roof? Also,
would good omnidirectional antennas do the trick for me? Directional
would be a huge pain. Anyone ever done anything like this? I've looked
around and found people who talk of it but never actually do things.
We'd be willing to spend an absolute max of $500 a node so money is a
problem.

Also, is it possible to set up our network to get from point A to D by
going through B and C first without having the bridges do nasty routing
that scares me? Any pointers on where to go with this? I have no idea
what kinda technologies/products I'd even need to look at to get
something like this to work. Or am I just insane?

Thanks
Mike