[SunRescue] Re: [SunHELP] UTP/BNC/AUI Connector for 501-1869

Stefan Skoglund rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 22 08:33:37 CDT 2001

Dale Ghent wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Ian Chilton wrote:
>
> | Hello,
> |
> | I have an 501-1869, which has an SCSI and Ethernet connector on the
> | back.
> |
> | The SCSI looks like a standard SCSI-II and the ethernet one looks the
> | same as the SCSI but smaller, only 14 pins.
> |
> | Does anyone know where I can get hold of a _cheap_ connector to
> | convert this to UTP/BNC/AUI to make it useful?
>
> That's called a MII (Media Independant Interface). It was originally
> designed so that you could connect an expternal tranceiver that would have
> a fiber or twisted-pair socket on the other side. The concept was ok but
> it never really took off. You mainly see this type of interface on Suns
> and some Cisco gear.

1. The funky AAUI (what you would find in the back of a apple machine)
   is a peculiar bit of TP connection. It requires a special adaptor
cable.

2. About the MII think thich yellow Ethernet cable and
   consider this : the cable isn't that flexible and you can only add
   a connection every 1.5 m.

   Solution: a tranceiver bolted at the cable (you drill into the core
   and screws a electrode in). AUI cable from computer to the
tranceiver.

   Unwieldy so the mfg created an multiport tranceiver hub a
amalgamation
   of 8 or 16 AUI tranceivers into one box with one connection to the
thich
   cable.