[SunRescue] Re: PowerMac 7600 questions

Robert J. Slover rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Apr 21 08:02:34 CDT 2001

Bill,

Mac's 'sense' the video resolution of your monitor and set
their scan rate and maximum screen resolution based on that.
You can find HD15F-to-RGB video adapters with DIP switches
to 'force' a resolution.  I only have one of these left, and
I use it a lot (I volunteer time setting up/taking care of
computers at my daughter's school).  It came with a Sony
monitor.

The composite video ought to work fine.  I've hooked up Macs
to the front panel composite input on our Sony TV when I did
not feel like lugging a monitor down from the attic.

I did find a PCI-based Mac video card on Ebay really cheap a
couple of months ago...

But, what I'd suggest as your first and best solution is to
get a 13w3 to DB15 (RGB) cable.  Many Mac monitors use them.
If your Sun monitor is multisync, that should be enough.
Here's a lot of 10 out on E-bay, currently at $24.95 with a
'buy it now' price of $50.  He has a note that he sells
individual cables for $10.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1230618087

--Robert

: I'm trying to get a PowerMac 7600 to work with this 21" Multisync
: Sun monitor, using the Mac's built-in video.
:
: The monitor works FINE with an Ultra 60 or with a PC (HD15 M-M cable
: going between the HD15 port and the PC - in fact I'm on the PC now)
:
: I've got a Sun 13w3-to-HD15M video adapter, then a Viewsonic
: HD15F-to-Apple-Video connector plugged into the back of the Mac.
:
: I power it up, "bong" (of course), I get a bootup gray screen, but
: it looks like the scan rate or something is off a bit.  On the "happy
: Mac"
: icon, every 4th or 5th line of pixels is shifted to the right about
: 10-15
: pixels.. its "jaggedy".
:
: Any way to make this thing boot up in 640x480?  I tried zapping the
: PRAM (holding down control-option-p-r as it boots till it bongs three
: times) but that didnt make a difference.
:
: Too bad my Matrox Millenium card wont work in this.... 8-(
:
: This Mac has A/V out - think an old composite color monitor plugged
: into the video out jack would work at all, good enough to get the
: built-in video fixed?
:
: Bill
: